Your Guaranteed Invitation to the Lint Ball

All my ideas are balled up in my sweaty palm dangled before the cart. I keep on moving, pretending they'll be used in a future art project or story, until found wasting away in the corner like dust bunnies with carrot breath, consumed but ultimately useless.
Attempting to concieve a child through science with my partner, both working 40 hrs+ a week, bombarded by holidays. Pardon the construction as I turn up the heat, the lint tray should pluck out some good sh*t that's been pillaging my brain.

12.08.2007

Babysitters Club, also known as One Thing I Can't Gay Up


Oops, I lied. Has anyone taken a look at Kristy lately? Um, that girl was totally in the works with such a huge crush on Stacey. Maybe this is a stretch, but as I dig into my memory, I can't recall why I enjoyed these books so darn much. I collected the entire series well over #100. More of the other kids read The Babysitters Club, too, for some reason it was not as 'trashy' as SVH. All the gals in the neighborhood wanted to babysit, there was a surplus of pubescent girls foaming at the mouth to test out their newly constructed Kid-Kits (remember those?) filled with lame reject toys left over from their now grown-up relations nobody would really want to touch.

I have three younger siblings. I don't recall a strong desire to babysit, I did enough at home. I think I wanted money. I wanted out of the house. Also, and here is where I gay it up again, I liked anything to do with all female groups. I have also been very balance oriented, so to counter balance the slut-SVH factor, I read an all-American book like Claudia and the New Girl, like having a salty flavored food before you have the sweet.

Say, there's another character with homo tendencies. I mean an artist, come on! I have my master's degree in painting, let me tell you it's a queer haven! Weren't Claudia and Stacey best friends? Because Stacey was a big city New York lesbian, that's why, and Claudia, the little suburban artist... ok, now I remember why I liked the ol' BSC books.

It couldn't be for their literary value. I have to say in hindsight, the authors of SVH were much better writers than their BSC counterparts. Maybe it was the sweety-sweet factor that held BSC back so much.

One question I have is, why were BSC books so much more popular with my peers? I can see why adults would have liked them more than SVH, but kids? God, was I the only one with illicit thoughts at that age?

I think that for kids, books with no literary value seem to do better in the same way a Twix will beat a banana.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

MALLORY.
TOTALLY GAY.