Your Guaranteed Invitation to the Lint Ball

All my ideas are balled up in my sweaty palm dangled before the cart. I keep on moving, pretending they'll be used in a future art project or story, until found wasting away in the corner like dust bunnies with carrot breath, consumed but ultimately useless.
Attempting to concieve a child through science with my partner, both working 40 hrs+ a week, bombarded by holidays. Pardon the construction as I turn up the heat, the lint tray should pluck out some good sh*t that's been pillaging my brain.

12.08.2007

What a fantastic site! SVH alert!!!


I just discovered this fabulous site that has inspired me to take my SVH obsession to new levels. The author of thedairyburger.com says her purpose, and I quote, is "To reread the entire series to relive my tween years, and also to get really angry at how SVH gave me a false and misguided view of high school life. And life in general. In fact, I blame all my insecurities, problems and worries on these books."

I think this is a fantastic idea. I am toying with rereading myself, not because I directly blame the books for anything, but rather, because I wish I could. They never set up false expectations, they set no expectations. Their lack of queer inclusion left a void that I had to fill with my own interpretation of what life could be like for me. The Sweet Valley High books made me fantasize about what relationships would be, completely thinking outside the box.

For me and my friends in school, these books were seen as fillers, trashy, not real novels, so I was embarrassed already to enjoy reading them. Then, to top it off, I was brutally embarrassed I was thinking about the characters in so-called perverted ways.

Hellfire, read my prior post, I still can't get these nitwits off my mind! One of my new goals is to reread each of the original SVH books and post on each one with my special way of Gaying Things Up! Ta-da! What do y'all think?

Keep a look out, this will happen as soon as I get my hands on the first issue of Double Love. Hmmmnnnn..... The title alone has possibilities!!!

1 comment:

Maria said...

I'm embarrassed at my age I spent time on Amazon looking up reviews, and on Wikipedia rereading what SVH was like, just in the name of nostalgia.

They didn't set up any expectations of dating life for me, but they were something I could burn through easily and somehow I read a few of the stories about the airbrushed Barbie doll like gals. Confession over. For now.